Lost Before The Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Royal Decrees
"Lost Before The Dawn" has moved to a different host. Same plot, same chaos and adventures, new place. It can be found HERE. If anyone would like specific characters and threads moved, please contact Calypso over on the new site.

The admins want to thank everyone who made this version of LBTD amazing and gave us wonderful memories and fantastic rp adventures. We hope to see you on the new site! Over the next few weeks the site will be made private, but members will still be able to log in and get their stuff and read old threads.

To our wonderful affiliates: we will be re-adding you on the new site. Please bear with us :)

till i collapse [seneca]

2 posters

Go down

till i collapse [seneca] Empty till i collapse [seneca]

Post by Katniss Everdeen Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:06 pm

She needed money if she was going to survive here and she doubted that hunting would get her by for very long. She also doubted these people were starving like the people back in the District Twelve had been. There was the occasional well-fed person but for the most part, the people had been nothing but skin and bones. After crash landing in Albion, she trekked the distance from Aurora to Westcliff. It took her a few days and she hunted when she needed to eat. She ran into some hollow men and took them out with relative ease, using the strange sword that had come into her possession. She bit her lip and stared up at the Crucible, tilting her head as she tried to gather her thoughts.

She could do this and she had to have faith that if she could survive twenty-three frightened teenagers with weapons that would do literally anything and everything they could to survive, she could survive eight rounds in an arena. It wouldn't be any different... At least, that's what she tried telling herself. Katniss Everdeen didn't get nervous; no, she kicked ass. She hated kiling things but if it meant her survival or theirs, she would kill first and ask questions later. She walked into the building, finally, and signed up as a contestant after making a display of reading the rules. She hoped age didn't factor into this competition, being as how she was only sixteen. If they asked, she'd lie and tell them she was eighteen.

It would be hard to win this crowd over, being as how they didn't know her at all. She was a newcomer in every sense of the word. She'd win them over and give them their money's worth. They were just like the people back in the Capitol. They wanted a show and by Jove, they'd get just that. Shivering, she zipped her jacket up and pulled her hood down, revealing her pallid face and the dark hair that accentuated her features. Blue eyes glittered with determination.

She shook her head, pointing to her name when the man behind the counter asked her where it was. "It's Katniss, Katniss Everdeen." She said, sounding somewhat impatient. She just wanted to get this over with as soon as possible. "Katniss Katniss Everdeen? Your parents weren't very bright, giving you two names that are the same..." Anger flashed through her.

How could someone be so dense? "No, it's Katniss Everdeen." She said, gritting her teeth momentarily. "Oh... Well, why didn't you just say that?" An audible groan tore past Katniss' lips. "I did say that... I said it twice, as a matter of fact." She said, trying to keep her voice even.

She wanted to reach across the counter and stangle him. To distract herself, she put her hair up in a bun so that it wouldn't get in her face when she fought. "Can you just call my name or whatever when it's my turn?" She asked, grumbling quietly and moving away from him before she did something stupid. She could hear the crowd roaring so something good must be going on in the arena. All too soon, even the crowd fell silent and she sank to the floor, waiting for them to start up again but when no sound was made, she assumed the worst had happened. That wouldn't be her fate... She had promised Primrose that she'd win and she'd do just that, even if her sister was only with her in spirit.

Her stomach churned with unease but her face remained a blank slate. She could do this... No, she had to do this. "I'm not interested." She said quietly when someone approached her. Her voice was only just loud enough for the other person to hear. It didn't occur to her that it might just be her turn in the arena or that the man was somebody from the past she'd just left behind, granted he'd only been an indirect part of her past. She'd never actually met him.
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

Gold : 41605

Back to top Go down

till i collapse [seneca] Empty Re: till i collapse [seneca]

Post by Seneca Crane Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Wᴇʟᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛᴇsᴛ ɢᴀᴍᴇ ᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴘʟᴀʏᴇᴅ...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬your fate is mine to hold▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
... ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴀʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴅᴅs ʙᴇ ᴇᴠᴇʀ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴠᴏʀ

Seneca had left the past far behind him. As far as he concerned, the last year he spent in Panem was a just a horrible nightmare. One he would like to forget but could not manage to shake. It was those memories that kept the man thankful for this place. He could be dead. He'd made a choice based on heart, based on a love for the story that had been created before him. He'd made the wrong choice for his life, sparing at least one in the process. He still wasn't sure himself why he did it anymore, really. Whatever reason, he did it and there was no going back on that. The act had ended him up here and though nothing like the Capitol, he actually found himself quite pleased with this life. It was simpler and easier in a way. No blood breathed president to intimidate him at least.

It seemed even after months and making a name for himself in this new arena, his past was determined to follow him everywhere. The man received the list of his next few contestants. The generally odd names of a couple Albion citizens were there of course. He thought their names and manner were quite weird. But then they would say the same for his own and thus they were even on that front. But the next name on the list caught his attention. It couldn't be... That would be too much of a coincidence had someone in Albion been named the same thing as her... He tried to explain it away otherwise but he just couldn't manage it. This was her. But he had to see for himself. The name just wasn't enough. He had to wait through this round, but he would check.

The Gamemaker stood from his seat on an upper balcony, looking down at the fight below in time as the crowd died down and the contestant met his fate. A bit of a scowl crossed Seneca's face. So disappointing. It had been good for a bit... For a moment he lingered to look over the scene before pushing away from the railing and moving out a door behind him. He met some of the contestants here and there, tended to come to welcome each personally before their turn came. This time he was going to make sure he met her, in those moments between contestants when things had to be reset he at least wasn't needed elsewhere. His mind was filled with worries and doubts. If it was the right person, what she'd say... if it was even right to go and meet her. She had almost caused his death. It was because of her that President Snow had wanted him dead. At the same time she had talent which he admired. She was cunning and quick, that he could admire as well. She was an interesting tribute in what he could consider one very unique Hunger Games. The capitol loved the story and the outcome... it had just been the important people who had disapproved. At least he might be remembered for something. They certainly weren't boring anyways. He just couldn't shake the bitterness though, that things had changed because of her. His general content feelings fell as he thought about everything. He was so torn and just the walk downstairs to where the contestants would wait was enough to let him get too deep into his thoughts. He stopped at the door, rubbing a hand over his bearded chin and taking a deep breath, composing himself a bit.

Seneca looked up, moving through the door and into the area quietly. He glanced over the couple of people sitting around, his icy gaze landing on her. The dark haired young girl that had changed his life so much without even speaking before. Of course he'd seen her, in her training, on screen. She may have seen him. But never a formal meeting. The man hesitated, but approached the teen. Not intentionally sneaking, but not speaking right away. Though her response was curious, and he stopped walking when she did. He stopped, standing straight with his arms held behind his back and a curious look and a raised brow toward her. "Not interested? You signed yourself up as a contestant, did you not Ms. Everdeen?" He asked, his voice calm and professional despite everything that told him to confront her. Despite the change in scenery, he'd kept his look from the Capitol. The same hair style, the same style of clothes. The familiarity was good. One thing he could keep, even if everything else he knew was gone. "You didn't get enough fighting in the Games?" He asked curiously, wondering if she would even recognize who he was. Even with the mention of the Games, his style, or even the way he spoke. That itself was something he was interested to find out. She was an intriguing individual to him, especially now that she had shown up here at his arena. A different death game for sure, but one none the less.

Tᴀɢɢᴇᴅ➴ Katniss Everdeen
Nᴏᴛᴇs➴ Sorry if it isn't a lot to reply to, though I'm sure her reaction will be enough.
Seneca Crane
Seneca Crane

Gold : 46075

Back to top Go down

Post by Katniss Everdeen Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 pm

She didn't want to be confronted by anyone. She had tried to leave that part of her past right where it was: in the past. She'd dealt with enough demons in her short, sixteen years and what's more was the fact she'd come dangerously close to death on quite a few occasions. She had hunted illegally, just so her and her family could get by. She knew the consequences that came with getting caught and she hadn't cared. Her family had always come first and in a way, they always would, even if she wasn't there to protect them any longer. She sighed quietly and drew her knees close to her chest, waiting for the person to go away.

When the person actually began speaking, she groaned quietly and looked up at him. "I did." She replied somewhat warily, making the slow move to stand up. She wanted to remain rooted where she was and let people go ahead of her. She wanted to be able to gauge how long on average it took for them to die. It would give her a sense of how strong her opponents were. She knew it wasn't the best way to go about things but it'd give her a sense of what she was dealing with.

She looked the man over thoughtfully, listening to that part of her gut that told her she'd seen him somewhere before. "You're... Seneca... Bird... right?" She asked with a tilt of her head. "You had an interview with Caesar Flickerman... and you were the head Gamemaker for three years." That had to be it, right? Never doubt your gut or something like that and for right now, even if she wasn't right, she was running with it. It was the only thing that really made sense to her.

A scowl briefly touched her lips at the mention of the Games. "Apparently not or I wouldn't be here. I'm sticking with what I know and if that means taking on a horde of whatever it is you intend to throw at me, then so be it." She held her head a bit higher. "I have to make money somehow and I doubt pelts and meat fetch a high price here, seeing as how these people seem to have an abundance of food." She had been a weary traveler and a kind woman had offered her food and lodging. She hadn't been too prideful to accept, mostly because she didn't know when she'd be getting her next meal and she had to keep up her strength if she had any hope at all of surviving the rounds in the arena.
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Seneca Crane Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:13 pm

She looked up, and the face was enough to settle his mind without a doubt. He knew her look all too well. Meeting her gaze he paused with some uncertainty. She seemed to study him, and he took the moment to form his words carefully, prepared for if she didn't recognize him. Or maybe if she did and got upset with him. He wasn't sure her reaction, or how long she'd been here or even when she'd come from back home. There were so many questions that just staring at each other would never answer. But how to ask or get his answers was another thing. He was normally good with words but for the moment it seemed to escape him. Until she seemed to finally recognize him. At least, she was close.

He couldn't help laughing a bit, shaking his head toward her. "It's Crane. I guess bird is close, but it is Seneca Crane." The man gave a bit of a smile, although it was forced. He was trying to be pleasant and his tone remained polite despite the error in his name. Of course the tribute wouldn't bother to know his name clearly. She was close enough to assure him she knew who he was and he wouldn't have to explain. "And yes. That interview with Caesar you probably saw... and yes, Head Gamemaker. Three years... not too long but long enough to come and go and leave an impression it seems. Actually a bit surprised, you recognized me." He admitted with a bit of a shrug. He wasn't extremely surprised, he was a unique look, but it was interesting. For all he knew she'd never really looked at him enough to recognize even his handsome face. "And you are Katniss Everdeen. The "Girl on Fire" if you ask Caesar and the Capitol." He commented, moving just a bit closer toward her as she answered his question.

"It's nine rounds. Nine hordes. And it's not like the Games were. There are no other tributes. These things are just hungry monsters there's a reason nobody minds having people kill them. There's no humanity. They all want to kill you and you alone. But if you know the right tricks it might be easier in ways. Unlike tributes they don't really think as much..." Seneca said, watching her closely and considering her answer. She had to make money, meant she hadn't been here long or at least hadn't settled anywhere. He understood what she said, thinking about it for a moment to realize that there really wasn't as large of a trade for that. Although hunting was useful, a lot of people did for themselves as far as he had seen. "Yes, people are allowed to hunt for themselves and so they do. People hunt for fun even. So you are right there, but this is hardly an easy way to earn a living. Well, on my end it's a lovely way to make a living. But contestants... well there's a reason there are no careers here..." He stopped himself, thinking a bit more and glancing for the time to be sure they didn't keep the audiences waiting. The last thing he needed was a rowdy crowd, he didn't like to use the gun he carried but he'd had to at least once. It was sometimes the only way to get their attention and Seneca needed to keep control.

"There's not long before you're supposed to start. I saw your name and I had to come say something. I haven't seen anyone else from Panem here, it's convenient it was you. You've had a much larger impact on my life than I think you know.." Seneca started, a slightly bitter tone toward the end that he pulled back in and shook his head toward her. He couldn't be angry and bitter, that wasn't him. Not then, but definitely not anymore. If anyone was to blame it was Snow. Katniss gave him a great love story to show, a story of sacrifice and friendship that the Capitol just ate up. It wasn't her really... but in a way it was. "There is no forfeit once inside, but you can still pull out now. The odds are toward death rather than victory."

Tᴀɢɢᴇᴅ➴ Katniss Everdeen
Nᴏᴛᴇs➴ Somebody says "I don't want to be the only one from home please don't get yourself killed!"
Seneca Crane
Seneca Crane

Back to top Go down

Post by Katniss Everdeen Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Her brow furrowed and she exhaled quietly. "A crane is a bird." She pointed out quietly, looking up at him and tilting her head. How could she forget a face like his? It was... unique, not that she was complaining. If he wasn't such a douchebag, he might've been, dare she think it, handsome. His eyes were what drew her in. They were a vibrant shade of blue. Gale's eyes had been blue... thinking of the boy turned man, a pang shot through her heart and she closed her eyes for a brief instant. She couldn't think about him at a time like this. She had work to do. Even so, thoughts of him crept into the back of her mind and refused to leave. She would miss him and Peeta and Primrose... Especially Primrose. "How could I forget you? You were discussing how you were going to seal our fates in the Games." She said quietly, sounding breezier than she thought possible.

She shrugged her shoulders. "What's one number?" Though she might be exhausted by then and it wasn't like she could take breaks in between rounds. She didn't think she could, in any case. She'd find out, assuming she made it past the first round. Adrenaline started to course through her veins as she came to realize it was her time to shine. That's why he was talking to her. She was about to go in the arena and prove her mettle. "If you're trying to frighten me into not participating, it's not going to work." She said quietly, lifting her chin just a bit and crossing her arms over her chest. "Are you trying to tell me I won't be able to win?" She challenged, her blue eyes narrowing.

She had the sudden urge to smack him and she almost did. Her hand quivered in the crook of her elbow and she had to forcibly stop herself from reaching out and bruising that pretty face of his. "We can discuss my impact on your life after, assuming I live to tell the tale." She said quietly, her pale eyes flashing with an unknown emotion. She couldn't show whatever it was she was feeling. She had to be strong, she had to be the unbreakable wall and most importantly, her armor couldn't have any chinks in it or it'd be her ruin. "Again, your confidence in me is astounding." She said, her voice practically dripping with sarcasm.

She exhaled slowly. "I'm ready." She said quietly, her tone leaving no room for argument. She'd prove to him and everyone in there that she was just as capable in the arena as she had been in the Games. Gently, she touched the pin that was pinned to her jacket. "Are you going to tell me where to go or do I have to find out for myself?" She asked quietly, suddenly wishing her hair was down so she could hide behind it. This man seemed to care about her and she barely knew him. It was... strange... and she had no clue how to reciprocate that.

Last edited by Katniss Everdeen on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Seneca Crane Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:49 am

A crane was a bird, but bird wasn't his name. The point of correcting was just that. She seemed to get lost for a moment and he wondered what was running through her mind. He wasn't sure he really wanted to know after he considered it. She could be plotting ways to kill him for all he knew. He didn't want to think about how he could be killed. Maybe it was something more pleasant? He somewhat hoped so. Or maybe reconsidering this choice now that she knew who ran it. He could hope. "It was my job, remember? Trust me it was nothing personal." It wasn't particularly. Maybe a little personalized in their methods once they started but his conversation with Caesar hadn't anyways. The way she shrugged off his information concerned him. Though he wasn't sure on his opinion of her entirely yet he did know that he didn't want to see her die. Not just yet. Which for a man who made his living off watching people died that was saying at least something.

"Trying, and it seems I am failing at doing so. I am telling you that this...  contest you can call it isn't one that is easily won. There's a very slim chance, I've had some nights with no winner. I don't doubt your ability..." Well he did doubt her ability somewhat. She was young, she could shoot and arrow but she hadn't had the climactic fighting against hordes of monsters in the Games. Tributes had certain skills that made them difficult to avoid or outsmart. These things seemed to have little brains, but he'd seen the numbers alone take out some skilled fighters. But saying that to her would likely get him a good punch in the face. She was firey for sure, he could remember the arrow flying past their heads. He didn't need that again. "I can't stop you but I could try. Really would rather speak to you some more than watch you almost die. Again." He'd seen enough of it. And maybe for once someone wouldn't act confused at the mention of things from Panem...

After another glance over the teenage contestant he glanced for the time again. If she was going she needed to. But his attention was drawn right back to his words and a bit of a scowl crossed his face. "Yes we can discuss how you almost got me executed after you kill every monster that gets released on you in a timed trial. We will see I suppose, if that conversation ever comes." Trying to convince someone to back out of a fight was not his usual. He tried to keep every contestant possible despite the policy that allowed forfeit up until those doors opened. More contestants meant more money, dead ones especially. All the losing bets there that came to Seneca's pocket fed his habits and his comfortable life. But none had been from home, or been people he all but sacrificed himself for. Of course he hadn't thought at the time of himself as a sacrifice. Or maybe he had and just wouldn't admit it. She lived, and maybe he'd die... That didn't work again. He couldn't just call off the game before she died, it was in the rules. he'd broken rules then but not here. Not his own. "I know my contest well enough. But..." Sure he was stalling a bit, give a little more suspense for the waiting audiences. Just a little. Her sarcasm caught him off guard, he didn't appreciate that but didn't want to make things worse.

"When you win you best stay to talk to me. And I can offer you a better living than fighting for it all the time." Seneca said before motioning toward the entrance doors. "There's a room in there you have time to buy a couple things to help. And enough time for me to get where I need to be. There's going to be a lot at once, faster you go more money you get but there isn't an actual limit. There are quite a few switches for traps, and you really should have come to watch at least once before going in. The monsters have their own weaknesses and traits that can be used to take them and the others out. Audiences like it, I like it, gives you better chances of winning than just trying to shoot them all. And.. Katniss, just don't die."

Tᴀɢɢᴇᴅ➴ Katniss Everdeen
Nᴏᴛᴇs➴ He's begging you not to die. :p
Seneca Crane
Seneca Crane

Back to top Go down

Post by Katniss Everdeen Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:39 am

She eyed him warily. "Trust me, then, when I say being mistrusting of you is nothing personal." She spoke with the eloquence of someone that was, perhaps, better educated. Her mother had come from District 4, so perhaps it was to be expected. Her heart broke a little, thinking of the shell of a woman she'd left behind. What would Primrose do without her around to watch out for her? Her stomach knotted and for a brief moment, she averted her gaze.

When he spoke next, she had to resist the urge to scoff. Who did he think he was talking to? Some child? In retrospect, however, she was just that... a child. She wouldn't be seventeen for another five months. She glanced at her arsenal and gave the man a rueful smile. "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." Since deciding to come here, she'd put together scraps of information about her would-be opponents and the various monsters of this new world, everything ranging from simple bandits to rock trolls. "I had a lot less to go off of when it came to twenty-three of my enemies and I still came out on top. I might not have witnessed the battles, myself, but I did gather intel on them from various people in the surrounding areas, as well as books I could find in the library." Spoken like a true warrior, she thought. "You're right.... you can't stop me." She said quietly and then she began to wonder why he was trying to stop her in the first place. If he was speaking honestly about the bee in his bonnet, you'd think he couldn't wait for an opportunity to waste her.

She inhaled slowly and then exhaled. "But you're still alive and by the end of this spectacle, I will be as well." A pause as gently touched her pin. "Mockingjays are good luck, you know." She gave him a partial smile and looked toward the doors. "I'm sure you do and I'm not about to doubt that. I'd respect the same courtesy." It was as polite as she was going to get. It wasn't like he'd done anything to earn her respect. On the contrary, he'd done nothing but make her life a living hell during the Games.

"We'll also talk about that hidden job offer. I want to prove myself to you before I accept any sort of employment offer." She said quietly. "Hopefully, once I prove myself, you can forgive me for nearly costing you your life. It wasn't personal." She'd just wanted to give her people hope and she wanted to be able to choose her own destiny. The Gamemaker had nearly gone back on his word to let two of them live, so she'd seen to it that he kept his word. "I promise you I'll give your spectators a show, unlike any they've ever seen before." She had become quite famous for showy displays back in Panem. "I won't... now, if that's all, I believe they're waiting for me." Without saying anything further, she made her way toward the doors and pushed them open, disappearing into the room where the traders were.

till i collapse [seneca] Oie_tr12
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Seneca Crane Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:42 pm

Seneca watched her curiously and gave a slight shrug. She was a smart young girl he would give her that, but it didn't seem she was smart enough to avoid the danger that was sure to come. He'd made his living here off the dumb and cocky, interesting for different reasons but never ones to get attached to. And oh how he avoided attachment. Attachment is what had gotten him almost killed, for the sake of the girl standing in front of him now. He'd risked his life as far as he was concerned and here she was going to just throw herself into another death game. If it wasn't for his profit, and he didn't believe she'd hurt him, he'd have directed her outside instead. It likely wouldn't have worked though.

"You speak with intelligence I wouldn't have expected before the Games. I can only hope the confidence and that mind of yours translate in there. It's been designed for few winners..." He stopped himself and shook his head a bit. it wasn't any use, she said it herself. Nothing he could say would stop her. No matter how brilliantly he could form an argument there wasn't much the well groomed man could do to argue with a stubborn teenager. She'd done her research anyways that much he could appreciate. So she wasn't coming in blind. Maybe she had a plan. He hoped she had a plan. No matter how much the man wanted to yell at her and take her out for his almost execution, this wasn't the way he wanted it. If anything he wanted to do it himself, and in private, that small violent streak picking at him. Truly he didn't want her dead. At some point during those Games he'd found himself with a desire to protect her. That one tribute. The feisty one, the one that held her own quite well but wasn't emotionless entirely. She had heart, from volunteering for her sister to her treatment of that one girl and the threatened suicide... something was different that intrigued Seneca.

It had been easy to settle into a pattern with the Games. It varied sure, but hardly that much. There was a certain predictability to them. Certain tributes would do well and certain were sure to die early. The predictable nature of most made his job easier then. To get the outcomes that Snow wanted. But Katniss had brought interest from the very beginning. Things to admire. Thus he hadn't wanted to see her die. She'd provided a refreshing interest in the Games and emotion that was hard to manufacture even for him. Sure some may have been acting but it was enough. He'd felt a need to protect her, even if it wasn't a rational thing to do at all.

"Yes that pin, you wore it then so I suppose it might be good luck. You won." Seneca gave a slight shrug, looking at the pin for a moment longer. His gaze lifted back to her with just the hint of a smile to his features. "I have a doubt it was the pin though. Took more skill than luck to win my Games. But luck may have played a part." It was somewhat an attempted compliment. If she was being truthful and had done her research and with her skill he wasn't completely doubting her ability to compete and win. There was just that chance... he would assume she'd be fine. That would work. She'd know if he cut back numbers or did anything of the sort. His studying gaze lingered on Katniss, considering the odds thoroughly in the momentary silence. She wasn't his family, or even a friend, she likely hated him. But there might even be some pride to feel if she succeeded... someone from his home that he'd chosen to risk himself for could actually defeat this challenge that was meant to kill more than be won.

Seneca gave up arguing for certain then, listening to her and giving a slight bit of a nod to her. 'It wasn't personal', using his own words. She was clever. He hadn't known her intentions entirely nor had cared then. Not until the questions came to mind as he was faced with those berries. "You'll give us a show I am sure. I'm not worried about that." He commented, glancing to the time. They were waiting, people would get anxious if he didn't arrive to announce her entrance soon. As he looked back to speak again she was already heading to the doors. "Seems fitting, oddly, once more. But, may the odds be ever in your favor, a second time." He called after her, a grin crossing his face. He waited until she was inside before making his way back to the doors from which he came.

Seneca couldn't help the worry as he headed up the stairs and back to his balcony. The best seat in the place, to watch the one familiar person from home being attacked by his monsters. The Gamemaker tried to shake off the feeling that she might not make it, assuring himself she would do fine. She would. She was strong and smart and that would get her through. Pausing at the top of the steps he took a deep breath, rubbing the back of his neck and forcing himself into his normal relaxed state. Or at least the appearance of such. He could hear the rumbling of the waiting crowd's conversations. He'd stalled her a minute too long it seemed. He had to show or things could get out of hand. They'd paid for a show, not to sit. Seneca supposed he should add some food and beverage sales to keep them occupied between contestants or something of the sort.

The man fixed the collar on his red shirt before he stepped back out onto the balcony. It wasn't until he made his way to the railing and in clear sight that the noise died down. Those who had seen him stopped speaking to hear the introduction of the next contestant, those who hadn't seen saw the people around them stop and so they did as well. Seneca's piercing blue gaze searched the audience for a moment, stalling to give her enough time to do her trading. He couldn't stall very long though, clearing his throat as he prepared to announce the next contestant to the crowd that were anxiously waiting and watching him.

"Our next contestant is a cunning young female all the way from my home. If you have been waiting for a good show, I assure you that this is the event of the night. She's smart, she's witty, she's a tough young lady. My friend, Katniss Everdeen!" He called and motioned the attention toward the entrance through which she would come. The large grin and the proud and confident look may have been a show, but it was a good one. To match the exaggeration that was calling Katniss his friend. He had to give a little excitement to her name though... to make her special even in their eyes. She had to be good if she was friends with the owner.

Tᴀɢɢᴇᴅ➴ Katniss Everdeen
Nᴏᴛᴇs➴ May the odds be ever in your favor Katniss. Big brother Sen is hoping for you!
Seneca Crane
Seneca Crane

Back to top Go down

Post by Katniss Everdeen Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:40 am

If there was ever a time to pray, now would be that time. A shiver ran down along her spine as she traded with the traders. When she heard her name being announced, she walked through the doors. She immediately got a few boos from the crowd while others whistled and cheered. She must've been quite a sight, complete with her bow and arrow, rifle and sword. That wasn't even taking into account the knife she kept at her side, in case of emergencies. She breathed deeply and touched her fingers to her lips, holding her arm up in a three-finger salute.

Not long after, her first opponents were released. They were ugly, winged beasts called Beetles, from what she could remember. They were rather weak and a single slash from her blade would probably take care of them. She'd save the traps for later. She knew the approximate locations of the traps, so she wasn't overly concerned. She'd probably save the traps for the heavy hitters. She'd heard somewhere that trolls, in general, were weak against arrows to the face and eyes.

She'd have to take out the Hobbe Mage first while trying to avoid whatever the Rock Troll decided to throw at her and she could probably kill the Hobbe Mage with a shot to the chest with her Sandgoose. She'd save her bullets for her ranged opponents. Why she was strategizing so far ahead, she wasn't certain, but she knew she had to always have a plan in mind. As the Beetles neared, she drew her sword and began an intricate dance of sorts. The blade sailed through the air, slicing down her opponents as they approached her. One or two of them managed to attach to her and she dispersed of them by stabbing them with her knife. It was a few minutes in and she already had bruises to show for it.

The crowd cheered and fell somewhat silent, their hushed whispers reaching Katniss' ears as her next opponents came out. The Hobbes that had melee and ranged attacks. She sheathed her sword and pulled out her rifle. She aimed for the ranged Hobbes first, firing off a few rounds. She caught a few of them in the chest and head and a few in the leg. While they were hobbled, she slung her gun back over her back and drew her sword a second time. The sound of steel clashing against steel flooded the arena as the melee Hobbes approached.

She dispersed of a few of them and winced as their swords cut into her flesh. The cuts weren't deep enough to be of any concern but they still hurt like hell. Using her foot, she kicked a few of them away and sprinted past them, picking up one of the creatures she'd hobbled. She used it as a shield, and smirked somewhat smugly as their swords pierced the creature. Strangled cries filled the arena and using her hold on the Hobbe, she jerked it and took the sword out of the Hobbe's grasp. She should've been feeling somewhat upset about what she was doing but oddly enough, she felt... free. She was using tricks she'd learned in the Games and during previous Games.

Breathing deeply and dropping the dead creature she held, she took out her knife a second time and buried it hilt deep into the Hobbe's chest then ripped it out, allowing the creature to fall to the ground, limp and lifeless. She quickly finished off the rest of the hobbled Hobbes, just to get them to stop whimpering. As the rest of the Hobbes came charging toward her, she met them head on and slashed her sword diagonally at their chests. She downed one after the other and stood back where she'd started off, flicking the blood from her blade. Next was the Mage, Wizard and Kamikaze Hobbes. If she kept up at the pace she was going, she'd tire herelf out before the real action began but she wanted to prove a point and besides that, adrenaline was a factor. The crowd was roaring and she was ignoring them, refusing to let them get to her.

She sheathed her sword and got her gun back out, fully prepared to face her next opponents. As soon as they came out, she fired off several rounds at the Mages and Wizards and as the Kamikaze Hobbes neared her, she sent them back towards the Mages and Wizards by spinning them around and kicking them forward. To perfect this technique, after the first one fell short of its desired mark, she moved several feet closer and tried it again, this time managing to successfully blow her opponents up next to the wizards and mages. The heat from the explosions reached her but she was perfectly alright with that. It was rather welcome, actually. During the lull, she looked around at the dead opponents she'd scattered all over the arena and as a couple of the Mages and Wizards began to rise, she went towards them and decapitated them with her sword. The third round was the last round before she could go see the trader and at its conclusion, she retreated into the room to buy more ammo for her rifle and just in case, more arrows for her bow.

Her next opponents were Hollow Men. It was best to decapitate them and although they used two-handed weapons, they weren't slow by any means. It was best to get right in there and decapitate them as soon as humanly possible. She could hear the crowd from the room she was in and she took a couple of minutes to rest, attempting to slow her racing heart down before it beat right out of her chest. Even in the Games, she hadn't been up against so many opponents. Her only saving grace was the fact she was smarter than her opponents by leaps and bounds. When she was feeling marginally better and had consumed a potion or two, she decided to go back out into the arena.

The Hollow Men started to pour out and as they neared her, she went straight for them. Her blade met resistance and she winced as she felt the sting of a blade cut into her flesh. Again, it wasn't necessarily deep, but it was too close for comfort. She swung her blade quickly, severing two heads at once. She kept this pattern up, moving quickly and swinging her blade carefully. These things had once been human and normally, that singular fact would've bothered her but in that moment, it didn't bother her in the slightest. It was either her or them.

Within a few minutes, she had the entire horde dead at her feet. The crowd was still roaring and she tried her best to block out the noise. She couldn't allow them to distract her. Her next opponents were bandits and they were human... living, breathing human beings with intelligence and more battle smarts than she had. As soon as the first of them began to trickle out into the arena, she heard them saying rather disgusting things, ranging from the things they'd do to her right down to how long they hadn't been in bed with a woman. She wanted to say something but wound up biting her tongue. Now wasn't the time to get into a verbal match with them.

She went up to them and under the guise of flirting, shoved two or three of them into the exploding barrels. Using the state of confusion to her advantage, she quickly worked on disposing of the bandits, often one or two at a time. Their swords grazed her flesh and she cursed under her breath. She was starting to hate bandits. Actually, she'd always hated bandits, but her hate for them was beginning to grow exponentially. She waited for some of them to near and slipped in the midst of them, quickly stabbing them in the back with her sword. If nothing else, she could always paralyze them, if not actually killing them and when she had the majority of them down, she'd finish off her opponents... and that was just what she did.

Her next opponents were highwaymen. When they started to trickle out, she pressed one of the switches in the floor and caused fire to spew from the walls. It took care of quite a few of them and the ones it didn't take care of, she moved close enough so she could get some decent shots in and began to fire off her gun. By the time she was done, she had one left and he seemed fully intent on killing her. So be it. As he lunged at her, she met him with her sword and sliced diagonally at his chest and in his haste to move away from her, he wound up tripping over one of his comrades. She used that to her advantage, stabbing him in the heart with her sword.

She drew in an uneven breath and made her way into the room where the traders were. Once again, she purchased more ammo for her gun and more arrows for her bow. She had two rounds of Balverines to face and she wasn't looking forward to it. She consumed another couple of potions and sat down. She rested for five minutes and worked on her breathing and slowing her heart rate down again. When she was done, she went into the arena and waited until the Balverines had come into the room before deciding what to do. There was an exploding barrel on the ceiling and from what she'd heard, Balverines were high fliers and that would work to her advantage... she hoped, in the very least.

There were also spikes that emerged from the floor. She knew what the timing of the spikes were, from talking to a few people. If she could manipulate the Balverines, she'd have it made. She stood directly beneath the barrel and started firing her gun at the Balverines. As expected, some of them jumped and others fell dead to the floor. The ones that jumped came into contact with the barrel and when it exploded, she looked somewhat smug. The Balverines were sent flying into the spikes.

Spinning around, she lunged for the Balverines and swung her sword, quickly finishing them off before they had the chance to recover. Two more rounds to go. If she repeated what she'd done in this round in the next round, she'd be all set... at least, that was the hope. She walked into the next room and waited for the beasts to trickle in before repeating what she'd done in the last room. To a degree, it worked. One of the beasts recovered and she had to pull out her gun and start spraying bullets. Finally, it fell to the ground with a loud thud.

The crowd hadn't stopped roaring and it was honestly starting to give her a headache. Why couldn't they just shut up? Was this what the people in the Capitol had sounded like during the Games? She shook the thought off and advanced to the next room. As soon as the Mage appeared, she shot it several times with her gun and smirked with satisfaction as the creature fell. The troll was another matter entirely, however. It would probably require a bit more on her end.

There weren't any traps to help her with this one. Putting the rifle away, she drew her bow and began firing off arrows, aiming for the face. She ducked when the troll threw three boulders at her and they smashed into the wall behind her. As soon as she straightened, she was firing off more arrows. When the beast threw three more boulders, she rolled out of the way and resumed firing off arrows. It took her entire quiver of arrows and several slashes from her sword to fell the creature and during that time, she had to dodge boulder after boulder. A couple of them grazed her and tears pricked at the corners of her eyes... damned thing. When it finally fell, she met Seneca's gaze.

What she did next was probably going to stick in his craw for a while, not that she cared. She bowed somewhat mockingly and repeated the very phrase she'd used when being scored. "Thank you for your consideration." With that, she walked out of the arena and dusted herself off. She didn't make it very far out of the arena before collapsing into a heap. Now that the adrenaline had worn off, she was exhausted. Everything ached and there was fresh blood and dried blood all over, some of it being hers and some of it not being hers.

(OOC: This sucks, I know. xD)
Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down